Category Archives: Your Business
Recently, we were in need of a file cabinet, and were horrified by the prices of new ones. We’d tell you that we are also concerned about filling up landfills, but to be perfectly honest, that’s about 10% of our concern. The other 90% is focused on not emptying our bank account.
As is often the case, we turned to our favorite “hunter/gatherer” website, Craigslist. Once there, we managed to focus (Focus! Focus! Focus!) on the matter at hand, and came upon a post with an interesting link.
Intrigued, we convinced the spouse that yes, Saturday is Field Trip Day. Plus, it was right here in Pompano Beach! No need to trek to the wilds of Cutler Bay or, God forbid, Key Biscayne (a lovely trip, and we met a great family and got awesome furniture; for more about THAT adventure, see our October 2012 issue).
We called ahead to ensure that this new “Garden of Eden” was indeed open on a Saturday afternoon and headed out. We entered one of those “light industrial” areas and stepped out of the car (DISCLAIMER: “Light Industrial” is NOT a “proper zoning” term. It’s just what we think of these areas as – you know the ones – in the general area along Powerline Road, north of Atlantic Boulevard, that seem to have sprung up in the past few years).
For those of you for whom a trip to Office Depot is like a five year old’s Disney visit, we were immediately enthralled. File cabinets! Desks! Bookshelves! An amazing assortment of furniture that made visions of office space dance in our heads. Rows upon rows upon rows. We could spend DAYS.
Back to the “focus” thing. We permitted ourselves ten minutes of wandering and then got back to the task at hand. As to the file cabinet section, pretty much every size, shape and material was available. From festive furniture-looking cabinets to standard industrial gray, we had a wide range from which to choose, all of which were very reasonably priced and in great shape. As you’ll see in the photo, we got a file cabinet that’s in great shape and actually contributes to the decor!
We are now one file cabinet richer, and far fewer dollars poorer than had we picked up something new. Plus, we’re supporting a local business, and (OK, OK, OK) saving the planet from yet another landfill item. A triple score!
We highly recommend a visit to the Office Furniture Super Center. Enjoy!
By Kathleen Moore
Contracts are part of every business. Careful business owners can avoid problems by periodically reviewing and updating their contracts. Changes can take place over time, such as changes in the law, bargaining power of the parties and other factors. Terms that were beneficial when a contract was signed may no longer be helpful to the business. Unfavorable terms that were accepted in the past may now be renegotiated based upon the current strength of the business. Additionally, reviewing old contracts may reveal overlooked benefits.
There are many stories of key benefits lost, and unpleasant surprises suffered, which could have been avoided by reviewing your contracts. Therefore it is wise for business owners to review their contracts from time to time and update them if necessary.
Here are some of the key elements to look for when you review your contracts:
• Are the parties to the original contract still the right parties? Businesses often go through ownership changes and as a result a new entity becomes an owner.
• Has the contract expired? Often parties work together even though their contract expired long ago. It may be beneficial to get the contract formally renewed.
• Is the pricing still sensible? Review of older contracts often reveals outdated pricing, which should be updated.
• Are business dynamics different so a better agreement can be negotiated? Your bargaining power may be changed, so that now you can require more beneficial terms.
• Does the other party have a right to impose changes that you can avoid by updating the contract? Make sure you know what rights you and the other parties can exercise, and when.
These are just a few areas to examine in reviewing and updating contracts. By reviewing business contracts periodically, your business will reduce unpleasant surprises and benefit by being aware of rights and obligations that could otherwise have been overlooked.